Monday, July 25, 2016

2016 Training Log : 7/18 - 7/24

Quality: 18 mile long run on Monday

Trail: 12 miles at SkullBuster on Sunday.

Easy: 3 runs for 24 miles.

Cycling: 4 rides for 32 miles.

Total:  5 runs & 4 rides for 86 miles.

Traveled for work this week, which always seems to throw me off a bit. Had to wake up at 4 am on Monday to get in the second leg of my 20/18 back to back before hopping on a plane. I'd almost forgotten how awesome watching the world wake up while out for a run is. Not that I can see myself up at 4 am often for a run. I also used my homemade energy gels again on this run, but this time I went with 2oz of gel & 1oz of water in the flask. Seemed to not only come out easier but wasn't as strong. I may have to maintain this ratio in the future.

Due to getting in wicked late Tuesday night, really Wednesday morning, I decided to just turn my speed session into an easy run. To up the difficulty I did it at 5 pm after dropping the family off at the airport. Also added in an 8.5 mile bike ride to the trail, then 8.5 mile bike ride home. Brought plenty of water for the trip but could have used some calories near the end. Was definitely close to bonking.

Near the end of the week it started to really warm up, like dangerously hot. When it gets like this there's no such thing as early enough to beat the heat. It's 75 at 5am with 80-90% humidity & quickly rises from there. With 16 miles on the schedule I arrived at SkullBuster shortly after sun up. This isn't a trail I'm ready to do much running in the dark on. It is also one of the harder places I run for keeping my heart rate in check. Even the downhills spike it up. By the time I got to my decision point where I could go 12 or 16 I opted to cut it short. My feet were squishing in my shoes from sweat & I looked like I'd found a pool somewhere to take a short swim. With the shortening of this run to 12 I'll just do my back to back in reverse, with the 16 miler on Monday. Speed sessions change to phase two next week, which is the strength part of the Hanson's plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment