Monday, July 11, 2016

2016 Training Log : 7/4 - 7/10

Quality: Ladder workout at the track on Wednesday.

Trail: 24 miles at CVP on Sunday.

Easy: 4 runs for 29 miles.

Cycling: N/A.

Total:  6 runs for 63 miles.

Training by heart rate can be frustrating, especially on the trails. I find myself walking a lot more than before & my pace on all runs is way slower than before. The plus side to it is I don't feel totally wrecked after a run, which I guess is kind of the point. I'm going to keep at this through the winter to give it a solid 9 month trial. While I try to stick with the zone 2 running for all my other runs I use my Wednesday run to really step on the gas.

This Wednesday I did a workout that I've been looking forward to since I put it on the plan. Unfortunately I missed it last week but decided to move it to this week. It's a ladder style workout that starts with a 2.25 mile warm up then a 400/800/1200/1600/1200/800/400 ladder with 400 recovery & finally ends with a 2.25 mile cool down. Such a brutal workout but I definitely felt stronger coming out of it. I've got some shorter races on the calendar to test out the benefits of these speed sessions.

Speaking of shorter races. I was fortunate to land a registration to the Hot Hot Hundred 10k for just one dollar. My fall racing schedule is really starting to fill up with a 5k, 10k, half marathon, 50k & 100k. I'm following through with my plan to race more & not just train for A races only.

Sunday's long run was a distance I'd failed at previously. I've blamed that inability to finish the run on heat, nutrition & hydration. What I now know is that I was just running too fast, basically trying to do the entire run in zone 3. This lead to me just being totally zonked out around 16 miles into the run. Sadly I didn't complete the entire 24 miles on Sunday in zone 2. I had a hard cutoff at 11:30 to finish my run by, which led to me cranking it up on my third loop. With the majority of this segment in zone 3 I could really feel the familiar struggle & confirmed that the previous failed runs were caused by going too hard. In hindsight I should have stuck to my heart rate plan & just cut the distance short to make my cutoff, I just had to get that monkey off my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment