Monday, July 4, 2016

2016 Training Log : 6/27 - 7/3

Quality: 16 mile long run at Legacy Trail on Sunday.

Trail: N/A

Easy: 4 runs for 29 miles.

Cycling: 1 ride for 8 miles.

Total:  5 runs & 1 ride for 53 miles.

Another travel week for work & with it the inherent difficulties in making all my scheduled runs. I only ended up missing one run for the week, my speed work session on Wednesday. I was originally going to stay at a location pretty close to a high school track. That fell through & I ended up no where near a track. The plan was to get up early & just do an easy 8-10 miles, which didn't happen. After driving eight hours home I was in no mood or shape to run.

The rest of the week went well. I've fully embraced running by heart rate, completing all runs in between 130-142 BPM. I've had to walk a bit on some hills I would normally run & my pace is a good bit slower. However, I'm completing the runs feeling like I could run forever. The aftereffects of a 16 miler feel no different than a 4 miler. Going to keep at it with the only day above target heart rate being the Wednesday speed session. I've also made a minor tweak to the schedule, moving the back to backs to Sunday/Monday, to avoid conflict with Saturday morning soccer games. This should allow me to run in the cooler morning temps.

During Sunday's long run I stopped at the "peak" of the biggest hill along the Legacy Trail to take a picture. While pulling my phone out I inadvertently dropped my key. It wasn't until I got back to the parking lot that I realized it. Having already ran 16 miles, emptying my water bottle & having no calories on me the idea of 6 more miles to retrieve the key didn't sound smart. Luckily the wife was able to bring me a key so I could get home. After a light breakfast I returned to the trail with my bike to retrieve the key. The added bonus was I got some miles in on the bike, something that's been lacking lately.

On Friday I finally registered for Not Yo Momma's 100K. I can't wait to try my hand at a new distance. The looping style of this course should be helpful for my first time above 50K. Getting back to camp every 16 miles allows me to adjust calories, clothing & hydration during the race. It also allows for the moral support of seeing my wife. Unfortunately we're a lot of rain in the area lately which is keeping me off the trails.

Found it!

The cause of the lost key

No comments:

Post a Comment