Sunday, June 26, 2016

2016 Training Log : 6/20 - 6/26

Quality: 4x1200 w/ 400 recovery on Wednesday.

Trail: 14 miles at SkullBuster on Monday. 16.5 miles at CVP on Saturday.

Easy: 3 runs for 17 miles.

Cycling: N/A

Total:  6 runs for 56 miles.

Got a few new toys to play with this week, basically going all in with the phone as my run tracker. The first addition was the Polar H7 HRM. I've always been intrigued with using HR to pace my runs & have tried a few times with my Garmin HRM to do so. The Garmin strap was just very uncomfortable & caused a good bit of chafe. The Polar H7 is much more comfortable to wear, only causing some minor chafing after a swampy 16 miler. I'll likely need to add some lube to the hot spot in the future.

The second new toy was the Garmin GLO, giving me a 10Hz bluetooth GPS receiver. While I find my phone to be very accurate on the open road I'd began doubting the accuracy on tree covered trails. What I found was the GLO agreed with my FR210 on the trails I run. Confirming my suspicion that the phone's internal chip was clocking a farther distance than I was actually going. A lot of this is likely related to where I carry my phone, in a belt at the small of my back. The beauty of the GLO is it is small enough to fit in the pouch on my Amphipod handheld, putting it in a great position to receive GPS signals.

I also learned two lessons this week. With my kid's soccer games at 9am on Saturday morning I can't get a long trail run in before the game & with temps in the 90s after the game I'm having trouble completing the distance (I had to bail at mile 16 of 24 Saturday). Trying to keep my HR under 145 on the trail is hard enough in mild temps, but when it's an oven outside it becomes near impossible. The combo of high heat & high average HR is causing me to run out of gas before I can finish the run. With the heat I'd almost have to walk to keep my HR in the aerobic range.

With those two pieces of data in mind I'll be shifting my schedule so my back to backs are on Sunday/Monday. Putting the longer distance on Sunday & the shorter distance on Monday. This actually more closely matches the training plan which has them long/short as well. I'll also start walking significant hills early, to keep that HR under 145. Hopefully the cooler morning temps will allow me to get the distance done without having to go to the well.


No comments:

Post a Comment