Saturday, June 18, 2016

2016 Training Log : 6/6 - 6/12

Quality: 12x400 w/ 400 recovery on Wednesday.

Trail: 10.5 miles at CVP on Friday. 19 miles at SkullBuster on Saturday.

Easy: 2 runs for 12 miles.

Cycling: 2 rides for 8 miles

Total:  5 runs & 2 rides for 60 miles.

Week 1 of the training plan for NYM was an interesting one. Rode 4 miles out to the local high school track for a speed workout. Did a 2 mile warmup, then 12x400 targeting 90 seconds with a 400 recover & finished with a 2 mile cool down. It was really nice to get out & really rev the engine up. The bike ride to & from serves as an extended warmup & cool down. It also allows me to mentally reset afterwords. If only there was enough time in the day to use the bike to get to all my running spots.

Friday & Saturday were the start of back to backs, with a 10/16 scheduled. In trail running they say it's not if you fall but when you fall. On Friday I got to experience my first ever superman. Started day dreaming near the end & checked out a bit. An exposed root snapped me back to reality & sent me airborne. Luckily only minor scratches were incurred. On Saturday I went out for a 16 miler that ended up going a bit longer than expected. I don't know if my GPS was that much off or my math. I figure it was a combination of the two. I packed two 140 calorie baggies for the run & a 20oz handheld. By mile 16 I ran out of gas & started to feel the bonk coming on. By mile 17 I was walking. The last 2 miles took over an hour to complete with a few pit stops to sit down & try to recover a bit of energy. The lesson learned here is to take more calories & water to the trail than you think you'll need, you can't base it off what you'd need for a road run.

It's been a long time since I stepped foot onto one of these


No comments:

Post a Comment