Wednesday, June 22, 2016

2016 Training Log : 6/13 - 6/19

Quality: 6x800 w/ 400 recovery on Wednesday.

Trail: 12 miles at CVP on Monday. 16.5 miles at CVP on Saturday.

Easy: 3 runs for 22 miles.

Cycling: 2 rides for 8 miles

Total:  6 runs & 2 rides for 68 miles.

One thing about trail running is it teaches you to pick your feet up, sometimes violently. During Monday's trail run I was still recovering from Saturday's bonk. Legs were just a bit heavy & mind a bit tired. I ended up soaring through the air with the greatest of ease three times. I went from someone that had never fallen to racking them up in short order. This all happened in the first four miles, after which I seemed to wake up. The rest of the run was uneventful & rather enjoyable.

Wednesday brought about a return to the track. Once again I biked the 4 miles to the track, did a 2.25 mile warmup, ran 6x800m with 400m recovery targeting 180 seconds, then a 2.25 mile cool down & finally a 4 mile ride home. That short rest between intervals is getting brutal & I can only imagine the suck for the next two sessions. Luckily when I step up to mile repeats I get a two lap rest. Met a guy with what I assume are his boys at the track. They were doing mile repeats, which given how young they were was pretty awesome.

The scheduled back to back for Friday & Saturday was a 14/16. I opted to do the 14 miler on the Legacy Trail due to other commitments that day requiring me to run very early in the morning. For my 16 miler I headed back to CVP, mainly because I needed to stop at a sporting goods store for some fuel. Unfortunately all they had in stock was Gatorade chews, something I'd never used before. Luckily they didn't seem to disagree with me all too much, so I can now add something else to the list of fuel. The plan for my run was to run two 8 mile loops, stopping at the truck to refill my handheld. I also tried a different fuel strategy by eating half a pack of chews every 30 minutes instead of a full pack every hour. This worked out a lot better & I felt strong for the duration of the run. Another new addition was keeping my water in a cooler. Much better than the seemingly boiling water I'd often find in my vehicle. Really starting to question the accuracy of my phone on trail runs. My Garmin GLO is in & I'm looking forward to trying it out next week to see how much of a difference it makes.

Received a gift card to Amazon from work, which led to new shoe day!
Left to right: Saucony Peregrine 6, Ride 8 & Kinvara 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment