Wednesday, August 3, 2016

2016 Training Log : 7/25 - 7/31

Quality: 16 mile long run on Monday. 6x1600 at the track on Wednesday.

Trail: 19 miles at Capitol View Park on Sunday.

Easy: 4 runs for 35 miles.

Cycling: N/A

Total:  6 runs for 70 miles.

Started the week off with an early rise to get my long run in. As noted last week I ended up having to cut it short on Sunday so just flipped the two days. I really enjoy these early morning runs but can only seem to get the motivation to do them when the mileage is high. Ended up taking Tuesday off as I've been want to do lately. I now understand why the plan I'm following has days off following the back to back long runs.

Wednesday saw a return to the track for the beginning of the strength sessions. I'm basically mixing the Hanson & Relentless Forward Progress plans. Doing the speed/strength from Hanson & the mileage from RFP. For this session I did a 3 mile warmup, 6x1600 in 6:40 w/ 400 recovery & a 1.5 mile cooldown. Had another guy on the track during most of the workout, which brought the added difficulty of passing someone during each interval. Still happy to have been under for each segment.

With Thursday being another day off I rolled into Friday & Saturday for just two easy runs. If I followed the layout of the plan then Thursday would be a 6 miler with Tuesday & Saturday off. So my slight modification is I get the 6 in during those easier days by just playing it by feel. I actually kind of like the freedom of this method.

Sunday morning I ventured out to Capitol View Park for a scheduled 24 miler. Usually I do three 8 mile loops, allowing for a water refill & general maintenance at evenly spaced intervals. Unfortunately this weekend someone was parked in my normal place so I relocated to the library, a section I normally skip for the 8 mile loops. With it feeling a bit cooler outside I went for the full loop on my first segment which put me back to the car after 10 miles. During the first loop it warmed up pretty quickly. With my feet already squishing I decided to try ringing out my socks/shirt & using the towel to dry out the inside of my shoesduring my stop. This actually had a pretty positive effect on my feet. I'm definitely going to pack some dry socks for the 100k.

After my second loop I got about half a mile from the car when my wife texted me asking where the car seat was. Big oops on my part. I turned around & booked it to the car. After a 30 minute drive home I changed into some dry clothes & finished the rest of my mileage for the day. My legs had already cooled off, starting to stiffen up, which made for an interesting first mile. Was definitely an odd feeling to be so tired in places where I'm normally just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment