Monday, August 15, 2016

2016 Training Log : 8/8 - 8/14

Quality: 18 mile long run on Monday. 4x3200 at the track on Wednesday. 16 mile long run on Sunday.

Trail: N/A

Easy: 2 runs for 17 miles.

Cycling: N/A

Total:  5 runs for 64 miles.

I've actually started looking forward to the Monday morning long run lately. It's definitely a struggle to get the legs moving after almost running a marathon the day prior. It's definitely one of the hardest things I've done in training. I remember before I started training for an ultra distance thinking the back to backs wouldn't be that tough. The mental part of it may, in fact, be tougher than the physical. On Sunday during the first leg it's always on your mind that tomorrow morning you have to get up early & do another long run.

Another great speed session on Wednesday. Workout consisted of a 2.5 mile warm up, 3/3200 w/ 800 recovery & a 2.25 mile cool own. Did really well to come in ahead of my 13:20 goal on 2/3 intervals. I'm going to miss my track sessions in the coming weeks as I'm getting into the thick of my race schedule. With the Hot Hot Hundred 10k on the 20th & the Finley 5k on the 27th I won't be doing speed work on Wednesday. Instead the races will count as my speed work.

Used my Friday run to do a bit of exploring. They're getting really close to finishing an extension to the Legacy Trail up to the Scott Co. line. I wanted to see where it ended & if it was feasible to get there from my house. This would require about half a mile on Lisle Rd, which has no shoulder. Very sketchy! I wasn't able to find an easy way to the extension & ended up just running through the horse park & making a loop of it. Not a run I plan to duplicate. Hopefully they finish the extension to Georgetown College soon & I'll have a traffic free path all the way to Lexington.

Sunday's long run was "just" a 16 miler. A phrase I wouldn't have uttered prior to this training block. When a good chunk of your long runs start approaching a marathon in distance you start to think of anything under 20 as just another run. I don't know if that's a good thing or kind of scary. I was again strapped for time having a family reunion to get to so this run happened on the road. Going to take it easy next week leading up to my race on Saturday & my 50k training run on Sunday. Should be a fun weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment